Monday, May 17, 2010

Adventures in Cooking: Mexican Lasagna

Saturday I prepared a recipe that I found in a free handout from Safeway grocery store. I modified the recipe a bit to include ground turkey (although the vegetarian version sounds just as yummy!)


Ingredients:
1/2 a lb of ground turkey
(1) zuchini
(1) cup of frozen Southwest style vegetables
(1) 4 oz. can of diced green chiles
2/3 cup of ricotta cheese
1 3/4 cup of shredded taco blend cheese
1 cup of salsa
(6) whole wheat tortillas

Here's what I did:

1. Brown 1/2 lb. of ground turkey
2. In a separate frying pan, saute  frozen Southwest style vegetables, diced zucchini, and green chiles
3. Preheat oven to 475 degrees
4. In a medium bowl combine the ricotta and shredded cheeses
5.Combine ground turkey and sauteed vegetables in one pan
6. In a 8x8 dish layer tortilla, cheese, vegetable and turkey mixture and 2 tablespoons of salsa. Repeat layers until all iungredients are used
7. Bake for 25 minutes

Serves 6

I think the dish turned out fantastic and everyone seemed to like it! I paired it with a green salad, but could just as easily served it with Spanish rice. Diced up avocados and sour cream top it off nicely! I am definitely going to make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment